Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pattern Recognition: It comes with Age.

Just a random incident, that comes along with more and more frequency. Being a byproduct of working on the front line of a retail store, I've spent a good amount of two years being out, either at the mall or somewhere relatively close to one. I've been encountering these random incidents where old guy would walk in and I'd just be stuck there in this weird stupor admiring this fellows style.

Breaking this vague statement down even further. What I mean by how I like their style is it's how everything is put together and done so with little to no effort. From the colors, to the pieces, to how everything is put together. Be it cuffed, tucked in, a handkerchief in a chest pocket, our grand parents have it all figured out.

I'm not quite sure if this is born out of my affinity for work wear, or my desire to look like a well-traveled old hobo from South America, but there is just something about how they put it together that just beguiles.

Before going on any more, I'd like to share two incidents that I had in the span of two days.

The first one being last Friday, as I was walking to the store. I ran across this man. Short sleeved shirt, largely white, with accents of pink and salmon. That tucked into a pair of tan Chinos cuffed a bit above the ankle, held up by a really aged brown leather belt. In a pair of really old worn Sperry's that seem to have been beaten to submission. That being capped off by patterned socks.

The second was at the poolside today, while having a smoke and a coffee. Retired Vietnam War veteran, age, 64. Classic black Fred Perry polo shirt, with a white accent around the collar, tucked into what I figure to be wool, or really incredibly textured gray trousers, held up by a cream canvas belt. The outfit being finished off by two tone saddle shoes. In my head, I went.. "Wasn't that on a blog the other day?"

Now I'm not quite sure, if it's the story I write in my head about where they must have been, the experiences they've had with these clothes. Maybe it's because of their taste being extremely contemporary in the sense that the looks are something you'd see out of an SS 09 collection by (insert random Designer name here).

After well, much.. okay, not a lot of thought. I've come to the conclusion that yes, I figure, no wait, I'm certain. It comes with age.

If what we do wear is a reflection of ourselves. Expressions and experiences, harking back to God knows when. Garments and pieces with stories I can only begin to wrap my head around, I, we, you, probably have a long way to go.

As much as the stories would be easier illustrated by a photo or two, we're just going to have to settle with a bit more reinforcement. Encountered 5 minutes ago on the Sartorialist, the photos say it all.





No comments: